Goldring E4 Phono Cartridge
Goldring E4 Phono Cartridge is the new flagship E Series moving magnet cartridge with ‘nude’ super-elliptical stylus. Designed as the ultimate upgrade for any modern budget or midrange turntable, E4 represents the pinnacle of E Series engineering and performance.
The Goldring E4 Phono Cartridge has been designed for use with all medium-to-high-mass tonearms, the type that is fitted on most budget to midrange turntables.
Constructed with the same high-quality core as other cartridges in the E range, the E4 is ideal if you wish to upgrade an obsolete cartridge or if you just want to boost the performance of your existing E Series cartridge by just replacing the stylus.
New super-elliptical nude diamond stylus
The E4 is fitted with a ‘nude’ super-elliptical stylus of just 7.6 x 18 microns (0.3 x 0.7 mil), cut and polished from a single homogeneous piece of diamond. The construction means this has a lower effective tip mass with improved rigidity, so therefore its ability to retrieve high-frequency information has been significantly improved when compared to a ‘bonded’ elliptical stylus alternative. This cartridge is therefore much less likely to ‘mis-track’ or overshoot when tracking high-frequency groove modulations, and with its polished profile it can more effectively fit into the closely packed inner grooves of the vinyl. The lower distortion, improvement in the transient response and the flat frequency response all add up to give you superior fidelity when compared to other cartridges at this price point.
Hollow aluminium cantilever
To complement the low tip-mass stylus, the E4 employs a hollow aluminium cantilever tube. The lightweight aluminium and its superior stiffness allows the stylus to trace medium-to-high frequencies with greater accuracy, while simultaneously reducing distortion and mis-tracking.
- New super-elliptical nude diamond stylus features lower effective tip mass, improved rigidity and better high frequency detail retrieval than ‘bonded’ elliptical alternatives.
- The lightweight and superior stiffness of the hollow aluminium cantilever allows the stylus to trace medium-to-high frequencies with greater accuracy.
- Magnetic Duplex Technology™ allows a more accurate transcription of the stereo groove which results in a more accurate soundstage
- Expert adjustment facility: Unlike most designs, E4 allows micro-adjustments to be made during the production process, ensuring each cartridge leaves the Goldring factory with optimised channel balance and crosstalk settings
We are an authorised Goldring dealer, so you can be assured of new and genuine products covered by a full manufacturer’s warranty.
- Frequency response : 20Hz – 20kHz
- Channel balance : 1.5dB max. at 1kHz
- Channel separation : >20dB min. at 1kHz
- Sensitivity : 3.5mV (1 kHz @ 5 cm/s)
- Static compliance : 20 mm/N
- Vertical Tracking Angle : 20º
- Load resistance : 47 kOhms
- Load capacitance : 100 – 200 pF
- Internal inductance : 400 mH
- Internal resistance : 410 Ohms
- Cartridge weight : 6.9g
- Fixing centres : 0.5in (12.7mm)
- Playing weight : 1.5g – 2.5g (2.0g recommended)
- Model : E1 E2 E3 E4
- Colour : Red Green Violet Blue
- Cantilever : Carbon Aluminium Aluminium Aluminium
- Stylus profile : Spherical Spherical Elliptical Nude Elliptical
- Stylus radius : 0.6 mil 0.6 mil 0.3 x 0.7 mil 0.3 x 0.7 mil
Magnetic Duplex Technology
Goldring E Series cartridges feature a special dual magnet arrangement. Magnetic Duplex Technology™ uses two low mass magnets which interact only with their partnering pickup coil, angled at 45 ̊, matching the geometry of the cutting lathe used in the record mastering process. As a result, Goldring E Series cartridges trace the record groove more accurately with better stereo separation and a more accurate, involving and musical soundstage, compared with conventional moving magnet cartridges.
The horizontal tracking angle of the stylus (azimuth) must be parallel to the record for optimum performance. Badly adjusted azimuth causes uneven channel balance and increased crosstalk, severely degrading the stereo soundstage. This is rarely a user adjustable parameter so it is vital that each cartridge leaves the factory with the azimuth precisely set.
Goldring E Series cartridges use a specially designed adjustment screw to locate the cantilever, rather than the standard fixed pin, allowing micro-adjustments during production. This pre-set azimuth means crosstalk is already optimized and the cartridge can be safely installed in a typical turntable with no correction required.